Sunday, December 7, 2008

My due date: today!

Today is my official due date. I always knew I wouldn't make it to this date and I am so glad! Wow, I bet Sophie would have been over 8lbs! Speaking of that little jewel . . .

She eats like a champ. She's eating every 2.5-3 hours and always eats 2 oz. She hasn't left a bottle with anything in it yet! So I'll be curious to see how much she weighs at her next pedi appointment.

We are still mastering the whole night/day thing. She is not bad. She usually has a wake time around 2am after that feeding and doesn't go back to sleep for about an hour, sometimes two hours. She's not necessarily fussy but usually just wide awake. We had been holding her and sitting in the rocking chair while she gazed around the room but I found that I was going to fall asleep sitting there holding her and also that she would fuss the second I put her down.

Today we changed things up a bit. She had some good wake time during the day today, which will help her discover day from night and sleep better. We are aiming to keep her awake some more during the daytime. She was awake today from about 3-5pm. She just looked around and grunted some to herself. We had her in her port-a-crib near the kitchen window. Because of this she was insanely tired and at her 7pm feeding she was dead to the world. I tried all kinds of things to wake her and she just sucked the bottle down and then went limp. I even made her dance around and sang to her--nada. Snoozeville. It was kind of funny. I'm holding her arms up and making her dance and she's dead asleep. Anyway so she slept really, really hard from 7-10pm and we had to wake her to feed her even though it had been 3 hours! She usually starts to stir some when the feeding time has approached.

Well this was good and bad. Good that she was awake so long in the day and bad that she was so tired so early. The midnight feeding she was wide awake and she is still awake (it's almost 1am). However, we fed her in the dark, in her room with the nightlight, and then put her straight to bed. She's just been lying in there cooing and making some grunty sounds. I know she's just looking around but she's being a little sweetie-pie. She fussed at first, David went in and she burped, got a diaper change and he put her back down. She kind of cried but then she just started sounding like she was grunting. We are listening to her through the baby monitor. I'm hoping that since she's been awake for so long now that she'll be really tired for the rest of the night. We'll see.

The dogs are doing very well with her. They sniff her a few times and then pretty much just ignore her. They are getting used to her cries and little grunts she makes.

Ok. I'm going to see about getting some sleep before my next shift!

1 comment:

  1. Having the miracle blanket (which I didn't discover until Stephanie was 2 weeks old) really helped. Stephanie was only swaddled when it was time to sleep so she knew it was time. My dr said not to wake her when she was sleeping to feed her....ask your dr about that (could give you a half hour or more extra sleep :)

    She's such a cuttie pie!!! Congrats again girl!

    ReplyDelete