Monday, December 15, 2008

Chicken Little

Well the sky isn't falling but I sure felt like it was at 4am! Mommy and Daddy neither one got much sleep last night. Sophie had another bout of projectile vomiting followed by a cry fest for about an hour that started around 4am. It was my shift and I was hoping to just go in, feed her and then put her back to bed. She had other plans. Poor David had to get up at 6:30 to go to work so I wanted to make it easy on him and hoped he'd get some sleep. He got less than I did. Poor guy.

At around 4:30am he came in to see why she was crying so hard and there was no way anyone could sleep through that! I was crying, not knowing what to do and also because I was just simply exhausted and I just wanted to go to sleep. She finally went to sleep around 5:30-ish and then we both went back to bed. I don't know how David didn't sleep through his alarm clock. All I remember happening next was David was fully dressed for work, it was 7:30 and he was standing next to the bed with little pea-pod (that's what I call her) all swaddled up and propping the Boppy pillow up next to me saying, "Stacy! Stacy! You need to watch her. I just fed her, I gotta go!" I looked over and she was sleeping next to me in her Boppy and swaddler. We all slept in the bed (including Noah, Trevor and Amos; Jake was on the floor like a good doggie) until about 10am. It was very nice!

We got up and I fed her again. She kept it all down. Actually she's kept it all down all day so far. Of course it's not 4am just yet. So we'll see . . .

We went to the pediatrician today and her overall 2-week exam went well. Dr. Shori said she looked very good, she had gained 3 ounces from last week--she's now 7 lbs 10 oz, 1 oz over her birth weight! She was 21 inches long--2 inches longer than at birth! Her jaundice has cleared up and she said she looked good. Then I asked her about the vomiting and told her specifics on how our feedings, nights and week had gone. She said she sounds like she has reflux. For now we are supposed to add some rice cereal to her milk. Just a tiny bit and I think the consistency helps keep the milk in her instead of coming back up! If that doesn't work or if we have more issues she'll prescribe a medication for her. I think it'll be Prevacid, the same thing I was on for my heartburn/reflux when I was pregnant!

Anyway . . . since we had vomit queen for the past few days we bathed her a few times. We got to use the darling little chicken towel that some family friends gave to her (thank you to the Holvecks!). Her name is embroidered on the back too. Isn't this the cutest thing?

2 comments:

  1. gave Abbie rice cereal in her bottle too and it also helped her sleep a little better and for longer periods of time...hopefully for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, she looks a lot like Kelton did at that age in that pic!! Let me know how the rice cereal goes and let me know if you want the cereal i have left. I only use it now and again.

    ReplyDelete