Friday, December 5, 2008

Mommyhood . . .

Well we are on day 7 of Sophie being in this world. She's one week old today! Happy Birthday, sweet-pea! She began to get confused on night and day starting on day 3. She prefers to be up around 3am and usually likes to stay up until about 6:30 or 7am. I say, well the sun is up so of course she's asleep! The first night of this (Tuesday) we discovered she was a little "clogged" and gassy. Poor baby, so I know she had a tummy ache and couldn't sleep anyway. Lots of consistent crying going on that night. On Wednesday night she was better as we had gotten some Mylicon drops to help with the gas, as suggested by the pediatrician . . . .

Speaking of the pedi . . . we had a good first time at the doctor's. Her jaundice was higher (bilirubin count doubled) but Dr. Shori said that was normal to go up and then go down, then disappear. We are putting her in the sunlight for 15 minutes twice a day as this is the recommended "medicine" for this. She looked better yesterday than on Wednesday. Her weight was 7lbs 4oz, the exact weight she was when we left the hospital. She said she would like for her to have gained her birthweight back by next week and we are supposed to go back then for a follow-up visit. She said she looked very good and all sounded well. Overall she got a good report!

She did decide to poop and fill that diaper just minutes before the doctor came in the room. So the new parents came to the doctor's with no wipes. We found wipes in the exam room and used all that they had left to clean her up. She's a good pooper, I'm here to tell you! So that was that and then the doctor came in. At the end the doctor leaves and I pick her up and she, very audibly, fills that nice clean diaper once again. It was a plot. I know it was. David says, "Let's just change it at home." I said, "No, I don't want her sitting in that!" So he says, "Well how are we supposed to wipe that off?!" I said, "This is a pediatric office, I'm sure they have more wipes!" So David pokes his head out of the door and says, "Uh, yeah . . . can we get some wipes in here?" So we got some new wipes and cleaned the little poop machine up and then left. We laughed all the way out the door. She was fast asleep . . .

Yesterday (Thursday) she had her first outing. Mom and I took her to Walmart. She got lots of looks from other folks and one woman said, "Oh how old is she?" I said, "Six days" she says, "Oh and you're out?! I didn't leave my house for 3 months!" I just smiled at her. Good gosh I'd go insane if I stayed home for 3 months! Anyway, she slept the whole time in her carrier and looked so darling all snuggled in there.

I noticed that if I go out at all I get super exhausted within about 20-30 minutes. We were walking down the aisles and I just felt like I had walked a thousand miles. I was very, very tired and my back hurt. I sat down the rest of the evening. Mom made her yummy white chili and more spiced tea! Tracy, Andy and Kelton came over for dinner and we all sat around and chatted. Kelton slept in our port-a-crib in the office like a little angel in his adorable fuzzy, dog, footie pajamas. Sophie slept on her Boppy on my stomach the whole time. She was so peaceful and she makes the cutest little squeaky sounds.

Well I'm off to do the 1am feeding and crossing my fingers that she'll be sleeping better tonight. We've decided to try formula for nighttime as it is supposed to keep them full longer. She also pooped 6 times today, up 3 times from yesterday, so we think her gas may be much better. I'll be sure to report on more crying, sleepless nights and poop . . . keep your clothes pins on your noses!

2 comments:

  1. AHAHAHA!! That's hilarious that you were at the pedi's office and she did that. TWICE! And without you having any wipes...hehe. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there- Congrats! She's a little angel. So sweet. Great blog. Thanks for keeping us posted and for sharing all the wonderful moments.

    The doctor's office visit sounds hilarious, I can totally see David. Have you heard of "In The motherhood"? It's webisodes that Suave created for moms by moms, pretty funny. inthemotherhood.msn.com ;)

    ReplyDelete