Sunday, January 25, 2009

Relaxing Sunday . . .

Today used to be, i.e., pre-kid our day of relaxation. I suppose I should get used to the fact that I may not see one of those for another 18 years! Anyway . . . I still haven't been able to clean the house in over 2 weeks. And yes, I'm going crazy! So today since I had David here and I take Sundays off work we cleaned the house all day! Yippee! I got my bedroom vacuumed and steam cleaned as I wanted. David vacuumed the living room, office, Sophie's room and the kitchen. He also swept the leaves away from the back door where the dogs drag them inside. I still have some picking up to do and some mopping but for the most part I got a lot done and feel much better.

Sophie's gotten better about going down for her naps now. I think I've got it figured out, at least for now. We decided to let her cry a little after we put her down today and she fell right to sleep after just about 10 minutes! However, her naps are short. She only takes one hour naps and ideally she should be at 2-2.5 hours. We'll work on that goal this week. Of course her nights and early mornings are still really good. She went down at about 9:45pm last night and got up at 7am, ate and back to sleep for her early nap by 8am. She then slept until 10:30am. So it's just the naps after that 10am that she snubs on.

I think her reflux gets to her mid-afternoon to early evening. She got fussy at her 7pm feeding today and hadn't been fussy at all today before that. She also wouldn't finish her bottle, so I'll be talking to the pedi about that on Wednesday along with some other things! I've got a Post-it note with questions for her.

This afternoon around 2pm David and I were going to lay down and take a small nap. Sophie had just been put down to nap and the dogs were all lying sweetly on our bedroom floor. I got under my flannel covers and heard a "blaaaah." I look over and Noah barfed on my floor. Sophie then started crying in the baby monitor and David pops one of his eyes open. I get up out of my comfy bed and I look at Noah, the barf and then at David and said, "I love my life. Never a mess I can't take care of!" And so no nap for me or David. That was when the true cleaning began and the main reason for the steam cleaning of the bedroom carpet!

I got a few things off of amazon.com the other day and I'm very excited about them. First I ordered more of the Soothie bottles that we like for Sophie. I had the hardest time finding them anywhere in a store around here so I just ordered them online. I also got a new swaddle for her called the Miracle Blanket that wraps her up like baby Jesus and she can't break free from it. The material feels like 100% cotton t-shirt stuff, like an undershirt. She slept well in it last night!

Then I ran across that popular little rubber giraffe and I discovered it's called Sophie la Giraffe. I had to get it. And the cute thing came with a neat story on how it was made in 1961 in France. Anyway, so Sophie the Giraffe is on the bookshelf next to Gerard the Giraffe.

. . . Ok. I actually took a break in the middle of this blog post and took a hot bath, fed a baby and put a baby to bed . . . Anyway, the bath was nice. I soaked for about 45 minutes. I first got myself a cup of International Coffee Hazelnut, my Positive Discipline book and Mimi's peanut brittle. Here is a snapshot of the tub before I got in it. Ahhhh, the water was hot. I could have stayed in there all night!

Ok. Well I had plans to go to bed early tonight. I can still do that because my "early" would be another man's late. If I get to bed before 1am it's early for me. So I'm going to try. I've still got lots to do tomorrow and if Sophie can sleep 2-2.5 hours for her naps I'll be good to go . . . but I have a feeling . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Speaking as a parent of twins a few years ago . . . don't worry about the daytime naps. some babies are simply better sleepers than others - again, from twin experience. if she's sleeping from 10PM to 7AM, make sure you're asleep during those hours too! you can handle the daytime even if she naps only briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i want some of mim's peanut brittle!! I didn't know you still had some left!! You're holding out on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The miracle blanket SAVED OUR LIFE!!!! I have three :) You can get them, and other great stuff at the nesting place (grapeving). I think they have a website too. They have soothies that are attached to animals...makes it easier to keep track of the passy and easier for them to stay in babies mouth.

    ReplyDelete