Monday, November 17, 2008

Childbirth Class, Preggo Blues, Cool Weather & Kris Kringle . . .

CHILDBIRTH CLASS
David and I had our first (one of two) childbirth class on Sunday. It was quite informative and wasn't like the driver's course I thought it would be. No nasty videos, no real births. It was taught by an RN that works in Labor and Delivery (L&D), has been a nurse for 14 years. So, she's seen a lot of births and all kinds of things involved with them! She was very knowledgeable and I look forward to the rest of the course, it will be finished on Sunday the 23rd.

We did take a tour of the hospital, well the L&D ward, baby nursery and all that. She told us exactly what we can expect from the moment we walk in the door to the moment we leave with our new family member!

Don't you know you can't show mommy things to pregnant people? She showed us a few slides that almost made me cry. Then she showed us the Cord Blood video that tells you why cord blood is so good and she convinced me to publicly donate my cord blood. Oh yeah. Showing a video of moms that talk about how cord blood saved their 3 year old from dying was a real good move. So, I'm going to donate my cord blood.

PREGGO BLUES
Well I'm 37 weeks and counting . . . I've now had heartburn on and off for the past 48 hours, mostly non-stop. Sometimes it's been incredibly painful and a few times I've had to skip a meal and eat later because I can't eat or my chest feels like I'm being stabbed. I have a prescription for Prevacid from my OB for heartburn, it only helps every now and again.

I'm also getting contractions here and there. Mainly seems that I have them at night but I had some today during the day. They are very, very short and quick. They are sharp and painful though.

The back pain seems to be not quite as bad. I guess the other things discussed with my back which one wanted to make me more miserable. So, my back took a break. Thanks, back you're so nice.

I just need to evacuate my uterus for full comfort and relief from all of the above things . . . .

COOL WEATHER
Well the weekend was nice. I crossed my fingers that the cool weather would stay but so much for that. I mean it is November, why would it be cool? Anyway, on Saturday morning the dogs were so cold that they all snuggled up next to David. I had to get a picture. Of course Jake is missing because he's the only one of ours that won't get on furniture. It's David, Trevor, Noah and Amos.

KRIS KRINGLE
This will be such a different Christmas this year, I'm excited, for now. I know I'll be so exhausted but it will be fun too. I know I've mentioned it before but I'll mention the whole gift thing again.

We don't want much but we do hope that we get the whole family here. That would be the best gift if we could have as many family folks here as possible. I'm looking forward to my mom's spiced tea, my grandmother's peanut brittle and my other grandmother's sausage balls!

For those of you who want to come bearing gifts I revised our baby registries with things I think we'll need that we didn't receive yet. I also made a registry at Walmart. There are links to them in the sidebar on the right of the page here.

1 comment:

  1. We took two months of Bradley classes (child birth stuff) it was long but helpful.....won't do it next time though. Never toured the hospital....was there enough with false labor and such to see it :)

    Few things that SAVED my life....a good sling to carry Stepahnie around, a miracle blanket (to swaddle, I couldn't do it with a regular blanket to save my life!) and some sort of sound machine with LOUD white noise (or a radio to a nonworking am station). this helped drowned out all the doggie and outside noise.

    I LOVED labor and delivery....I'm kinda strange like that. I was SO not made for being prego....had the heartburn too, nothing worked! LOVE reading your blog.....wishing you a speedy and safe deliver with a perfect little princess in your arms soon :)

    ReplyDelete