Sunday, November 30, 2008

And I'm Thankful for . . . .

Well I made Thanksgiving and Sophie missed it by one day! The post titled "SHE's HERE!" was posted by Tracy while I was in the hospital--thanks, Trace I love 'ya! So you all know that I went into labor on Friday and she was born at 10:58pm that night.

Labor was great, I couldn't have asked for it to go any better! I married the most wonderful man in the world that I can't even say in words how great he has been through not only my whole pregnancy but this whole weekend. He's SuperDad already (he changed all of Sophie's diapers in the hospital when we were alone with her) and has been more than supportive and marvelous to me. He was the best labor coach and he was so excited through it all that it made my labor actually fun and exciting. Yes you read that correctly. We had fun. I had two great nurses and a great doctor that delivered her. Unfortunately Sophie came when my own doctor was not on call but Dr. Ku was great. I was admitted at 7pm, dilated at 3cm and 90% effaced. After some Pitocin, at 10pm I was complete (dilated to 10cm and 100% effaced) and she decided to arrive at 10:58pm without any medical aide such as forceps, vacuum or C-section. It was just a great, fun miracle! Now don't take that as me doing the all naturale delivery, uh no way--I do not believe I would be giddy about delivery had I not had that marvelous invention called an epidural! At any rate it was still the absolute best moment of my entire life.

So, we are all home! We came home today around noon and had so many wonderful things waiting for us that I thought I'd go ahead and do my "I'm thankful for . . ." now since I was a bit miserable on Thanksgiving Day and didn't take the appropriate measures to do it then!

My family has been [and always is] so wonderful through this whole thing and I have to say that my whole family (including, of course, the newest family of Greers) is just amazing. I have been truly blessed with the best family ever. Tracy, Andy, Kelton, [step-mommy] Carol, Dad, Nanna, Susan and Don were all waiting for us at my house when we all arrived. Mom had followed us home as she stayed at the hospital with us all morning and is staying the week as well (more on that).

Andy came out with his camera-a-blazin' and we got some great pics. I have to wait for Tracy to make them look all perfect and then we'll be sending those out to all! They had cleaned our house for us, put dainty pretty flowers out on our table along with some food for us to eat that Tracy knew that was some of my favorites (gotta love havin' a twin)!

It was all so welcoming, warm and fuzzy and a great way to be greeted when you've run on empty for 2 days, pain meds oh and the fact that you gave birth to an almost 8-lb baby! Several of the family went to the store and stocked little Sophie up with some much needed items that she had not yet received such as a diaper pail, wipey warmer, sound machine, clock for her room, heater (her room is very cold in our house) and cool mist humidifier. I really just couldn't have asked for more wonderful people in my life . . .

. . . and now I've been graced with another marvel of God's. She's just perfect. She looks like her Daddy, unlike cousin Kelton who looks just like Tracy and I did as babies. Sophie has the longest fingers, feet and toes! A Greer trait for sure. She has hair but just a small amount and we aren't sure what color it is. Just after birth she looked like she had red hair but it looks a bit blonde now. Only time will tell on that one. She's been a very content little baby and can go a great 3 hours between feedings without fussing and then sleeps like a little champ when we swaddle her like a little burrito. I know she's only 48 hours old now but she's a content little newborn so far! I hope this is an indication of future weeks ahead as well!

Ah yes, and lest I forget to update you all on the dogs and their thoughts on the new bundle. Well, it's still only hours new for them but I am confident that they will all adjust very well. Amos and Jake are not too concerned. Noah and Trevor on the other hand have a lot of curiosity and when they heard her cry for the first time they really didn't know what to do. Trevor bounced like the normal Jack Russell does straight up in the air without touching a thing to see if he could see what was on the changing table. Noah looked up there whined, looked at me, whined, looked at me and then laid on the floor until we were finished changing her diaper. These two also have travelled back to her room to sniff around the crib while she is in it and see if they can see what the rukus is all about. They'll get used to her soon and sleep through it all like Amos and Jake!

My mother has been here all weekend as well and she's also staying for the week to help out and in the hopes that I'll get some rest. She's been great and I know I'll sincerely appreciate her help throughout the rest of the week. (She says I'm gonna get some of her spiced tea, a favorite of mine ever since I can remember!) She's actually taking care of little sweet-pea right now as I type this. What a good Grandma huh? Feeding my child so I can blog! Ok, well I'm supposed to be sleeping but I had to update the world on my excitement and joy! . . . So, I'll sign off now and try to catch up on sleep while I can!

2 comments:

  1. She is so cute! I can't wait to see more pictures. I'm glad that you enjoyed your labor and the whole process went smoothly. I bet David is adorable to watch with her. Have a great first week mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cin. Yes indeed this has been one heck of a Thanksgiving weekend! Thanks for the note & I look forward to all the joy to come, even the frustration that is also part of it all! :-)

    ReplyDelete