Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gulp.

I know I say it all the time but I can't say it enough--I love being a mom, and a mom to Sophie to be specific! She's so cute. She's so fun. She's learning everyday. She's trying to talk all the time, everything is a word. Not all words are actually words but she sounds cute saying them.

Well if you recall we had our scary ER visit a few weeks ago with Sophie and all her gagging. She has gagged since she started eating anything other than formula. So her pediatrician referred us to a Speech-language Pathologist (SLP) at Our Children's House at Baylor Medical where they did what they call a "videofluoroscopic swallow study". The study has her eat and drink foods and watches it go down via x-ray while she eats and drinks. They put Barium on the food and in the drinks and it showed up on a screen going down her little throat. Kind of cool to watch.

Anyway, the SLP then told us that she does have a delayed swallow and that the food goes over her voicebox and she has a risk of aspiration. She is supposed to now be evaluated by an Occupational Therapist and then we go from there.

In the meantime she's happy and not missing a beat! She's my little doodlebug and I just love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment