Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekend Warrior

Big weekend for me and Harry. I would post about last week but I've slept since then so I have to start with what I remember. . .

Thursday evening my wonderful friend and dog trainer, Misty, and I left town around 8pm and drove to Austin for a weekend planned to hang out with our mentor trainer, Lee Mannix. I decided to take Harry since he needs to be trained everyday for our big competition just around the corner. I was hoping to get some good tips from Lee on Harry and what I can do with him (yes, he did give me some too!)

We stayed with Mom, of course, but she lives in far north Austin and Lee's training center is in far south Austin. Misty and I made it to his place by 9am on Friday morning and were able to follow him around all day. Then after our big day Lee bought several pounds of shrimp and crawfish and we went to his place on the Blanco River in Wimberly to eat yummy shrimp and hang on the river. Now you must know that Lee is a one-of-a-kind sort of fellow. He's a remarkable dog trainer, that's probably saying it lightly. He made the front page of the Austin American Statesman a few Sundays ago. This guy is a love-him-or-hate-him guy. He's a good ole boy who loves beer and dogs just about the same. So we had some good old fashioned fun on Friday. Lots of laughs. Saturday was another long dog training day and so was today [Sunday]. That guy never stops working! He said since the article came out he's tripled his business and he wasn't hurting for work as it was . . .

Harry had a blast on the river! He learned to swim and enjoyed it quite a bit. He also was running around off-leash and having a good time. He's a natural swimmer and a very great dog. He'll make someone a really great buddy! Lee kept saying, "Man that is a cool dog. He's so awesome . . ." Harry also met goats as Lee has some on his property and he didn't think much of them. He just looked at them and then sat down.

So the weekend was fun but exhausting. My brain hurts and so do my feet. I'm off to bed for now and hope to be able to add more later . . .

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE harry!! Did you take that pic of Lee? It is COOL!

    ReplyDelete