Wow, long time since you have seen us on here, huh? I suppose working and being a mom is a little hectic. I won't try to catch you up on the past two months, it would be a lot of info. I'm going to dedicate this one to holiday memories and other such fun stuff.
Sophie had her 2nd birthday on November 28th. I can't believe she's two already! She's been such a delight that I'm scared to have another for fear that it wouldn't be this easy. She's always been a good sleeper and she still continues to get up around 8:30am on days she doesn't go to school. She's talking like a little parrot and she makes us laugh all the time at what she says.
Her latest is how she responds when you ask her "Sophie, how you doin'?" She says, "I doin' pretty good." It's also the way she says it. She will also have two of her toys and make them talk to each other and one will ask the other how they are and they will answer--pretty good--followed by her cracking up. It's just the cutest thing.
She also has a profound love for Frosty the Snowman. I wanted to teach her some songs to sing that were Christmas-y. So I did Frosty and Rudolph. They both are requested all day, with Frosty staying at the top of the charts. She also likes Jingle Bells and Jingle Bell Rock. She'll sing the words to Jingle Bells and it's really cute. She dances to Jingle Bell Rock and then says, "Sophie, dancing . . . "
Anyway, I'm ecstatic about Christmas this year, for a lot of reasons. First, Sophie is going to have a marvelous time. She will know what is going on and I can't wait to see her darling little face. Last year Christmas was not the fun holiday I have looked forward to each year since I was a kid. My dearest Grandfather (my mother's dad) passed away the day after Christmas and we all knew it was coming. We didn't have a holiday at all worth celebrating. While he will be missed greatly this season we will also celebrate as I know it was a great time of year for all of us in years past . . .
I can't think of a time in my life that I didn't absolutely love Christmas. I am a person that has many, many great memories of different things but Christmas time for me brings back more childhood memories than anything I can think of. As years go by I think the memories become more treasured and as I drive down the road in the evenings, battle traffic and sit back and remember many things that bring a silent smile to my face.
Back in the 80s we would sit in front of my grandparents' big Zenith and watch the Barbara Mandrell and Sisters Christmas show. I loved that show. It would inspire us to always try to put on a show for our family at Christmas. Tracy (my twin sister), Lara (my cousin), Matthew (my other cousin) and I would all do goofy "shows" every year until I can remember. What is especially strange is that I remember the one with the tour bus the most. I don't know why but I do. And I found a clip of it on YouTube (see clip below, if you are getting this via your inbox you'll have to visit the blog online here to see videos) Crazy!
My mom would have a pot of her homemade spiced tea on the stove, always in the same porcelain pot year after year. It was white with a tiny single little blue flower right in the middle of it. The lip was silver and the handle was black. That was the spiced tea pot. I don't know if anything else even made it in there. Only spiced tea made the grade, at least in my opinion.
Christmas time makes me smile more than any time of the year. I also recall my parents having a TIME LIFE collection of Christmas music cassettes and I would put them in my jam box around Halloween time and listen to them every night until Christmas. At our house the tree always went up the day after Thanksgiving and came down the day after Christmas. Always, like clockwork. My mom insisted on tons of lights delicately placed on each branch in the tree. It was gorgeous. We never had a real tree but my mom's tree was just grand with homemade ornaments from my mom's mom, Mimi, along with the homemade tree skirt.
That tree skirt adorns my tree this year and I'm so proud that it does. Made of what I'm sure was snow white felt, but is now a sentimental dingy white, with some spots of old glue stains and all the 12 days of Christmas sewn by hand by Mimi and laced with sequins and beads. . . .
I remember the year we all got Cabbage Patch dolls. It's funny being a parent now. I'm sure my mom, aunt and grandmother stood in an obnoxious line to pay some crazy amount to get us all one of that year's Christmas fads. Sophie loves dolls right now, loves them. So I went on ebay to find a vintage 1985 Cabbage Patch doll. Sadly they haven't held value, but that was fortunate for me because I got one of the "preemie" dolls that is bald in it's original box with birth certificate for $35, which included shipping. I think they cost more than that in 1985 at the stores. Anyway she's darling and I think Sophie will love her. I'm excited about her, probably more so than she will be because of the sentimental value it has to me. Oh, Santa Claus is coming to town!

It's funny how time slips away . . . now I'm trying to start my own family traditions so that Sophie will have memories as strong and treasured as I do each Christmas. There are so many and they all make me smile and wish it was 1985 again. But I can thank The Man above now for giving me the darling little angel that I have and look forward to her having as much joy every Christmas I as I continue to do . . .
Never forget the memories. No matter what technology we have, nothing will replace memories.
Her latest is how she responds when you ask her "Sophie, how you doin'?" She says, "I doin' pretty good." It's also the way she says it. She will also have two of her toys and make them talk to each other and one will ask the other how they are and they will answer--pretty good--followed by her cracking up. It's just the cutest thing.
She also has a profound love for Frosty the Snowman. I wanted to teach her some songs to sing that were Christmas-y. So I did Frosty and Rudolph. They both are requested all day, with Frosty staying at the top of the charts. She also likes Jingle Bells and Jingle Bell Rock. She'll sing the words to Jingle Bells and it's really cute. She dances to Jingle Bell Rock and then says, "Sophie, dancing . . . "
Anyway, I'm ecstatic about Christmas this year, for a lot of reasons. First, Sophie is going to have a marvelous time. She will know what is going on and I can't wait to see her darling little face. Last year Christmas was not the fun holiday I have looked forward to each year since I was a kid. My dearest Grandfather (my mother's dad) passed away the day after Christmas and we all knew it was coming. We didn't have a holiday at all worth celebrating. While he will be missed greatly this season we will also celebrate as I know it was a great time of year for all of us in years past . . .
I can't think of a time in my life that I didn't absolutely love Christmas. I am a person that has many, many great memories of different things but Christmas time for me brings back more childhood memories than anything I can think of. As years go by I think the memories become more treasured and as I drive down the road in the evenings, battle traffic and sit back and remember many things that bring a silent smile to my face.
Back in the 80s we would sit in front of my grandparents' big Zenith and watch the Barbara Mandrell and Sisters Christmas show. I loved that show. It would inspire us to always try to put on a show for our family at Christmas. Tracy (my twin sister), Lara (my cousin), Matthew (my other cousin) and I would all do goofy "shows" every year until I can remember. What is especially strange is that I remember the one with the tour bus the most. I don't know why but I do. And I found a clip of it on YouTube (see clip below, if you are getting this via your inbox you'll have to visit the blog online here to see videos) Crazy!
My mom would have a pot of her homemade spiced tea on the stove, always in the same porcelain pot year after year. It was white with a tiny single little blue flower right in the middle of it. The lip was silver and the handle was black. That was the spiced tea pot. I don't know if anything else even made it in there. Only spiced tea made the grade, at least in my opinion.
Christmas time makes me smile more than any time of the year. I also recall my parents having a TIME LIFE collection of Christmas music cassettes and I would put them in my jam box around Halloween time and listen to them every night until Christmas. At our house the tree always went up the day after Thanksgiving and came down the day after Christmas. Always, like clockwork. My mom insisted on tons of lights delicately placed on each branch in the tree. It was gorgeous. We never had a real tree but my mom's tree was just grand with homemade ornaments from my mom's mom, Mimi, along with the homemade tree skirt.
That tree skirt adorns my tree this year and I'm so proud that it does. Made of what I'm sure was snow white felt, but is now a sentimental dingy white, with some spots of old glue stains and all the 12 days of Christmas sewn by hand by Mimi and laced with sequins and beads. . . .
I remember the year we all got Cabbage Patch dolls. It's funny being a parent now. I'm sure my mom, aunt and grandmother stood in an obnoxious line to pay some crazy amount to get us all one of that year's Christmas fads. Sophie loves dolls right now, loves them. So I went on ebay to find a vintage 1985 Cabbage Patch doll. Sadly they haven't held value, but that was fortunate for me because I got one of the "preemie" dolls that is bald in it's original box with birth certificate for $35, which included shipping. I think they cost more than that in 1985 at the stores. Anyway she's darling and I think Sophie will love her. I'm excited about her, probably more so than she will be because of the sentimental value it has to me. Oh, Santa Claus is coming to town!

It's funny how time slips away . . . now I'm trying to start my own family traditions so that Sophie will have memories as strong and treasured as I do each Christmas. There are so many and they all make me smile and wish it was 1985 again. But I can thank The Man above now for giving me the darling little angel that I have and look forward to her having as much joy every Christmas I as I continue to do . . .
Never forget the memories. No matter what technology we have, nothing will replace memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment